Brisket, also referred to as roast, is one of the more familiar cuts of meat. It’s often a tougher cut and similar to rump roast, which is best to slow cook because it brings out the most flavor and helps to tenderize the meat.
Whether you prefer using the oven or crockpot, we’ve got a great recipe for you to try for the next family gathering!
Barbeque Beef Brisket (Roast Beef)
This is a Kilgus family favorite! It’s delicious in its original version or see the recipe notes below for the crockpot simplified version. Either way, you’ll enjoy this flavorful home-cooked recipe to share with your family.
Keep in mind…
– For the oven-cooked version you will need to prep the day before and cook-time is about 3 hours.
– The crockpot version can be made the day of but has a cook-time of about 8 hours.
6 lb beef brisket or beef roast. We recommend Kilgus Farmstead brisket, sirloin tip roast, or chuck roast.
4 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tblsp finely ground coffee
Black pepper to taste
- Rub the brisket or roast generously with spice blend, cover, and let marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Put the beef, fat cap up, in a roasting pan. Add 1 cup water to the pan and roast the beef uncovered for 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coffee, brown sugar, pepper to taste, 3 cups hot water, and apple cider vinegar.
- Remove the beef from the oven, pour the coffee mixture over the beef, cover with foil, and braise until beef reaches an internal temperature of 185° and is fork tender, about 3 hours (2 to 2 1/2 hours if using Jersey beef). Remove to a carving board to let rest.
- Cook the braising liquid in the roasting pan on the stovetop, skimming the fat and allowing it to reduce just slightly or to the desired consistency. Thinly slice the beef across the grain.
- Crockpot Simplified Version: rub the roast, combine all other ingredients in a crockpot, and cook on low for 8 hours. In this version, you’ll want to shred the roast instead of slicing it.