Muffins are a great treat for any season particularly during the fall harvest and through the end-of-year holidays. They are best served fresh out of the oven, warm, and with butter.
We suggest that you use local apples and visit your nearby orchard to get the freshest picks. Our favorite apple varieties that are great for baking or eating standalone are Cortlands, Honeycrisp, and Idareds all of which are packed with a ton of flavor!
The best baking apples tend to be a bit on the tarter side which pairs well with the sweetness of baking batter and crumble topping. Also, note that crisper apples tend to make better baking apples compared to soft apples which can get mushy after being cooked in the oven. If you do happen to like a softer apple we suggest you try using the McIntosh variety.
Lastly, muffins are best shared so be sure to spread the love!
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Everyone loves a great apple cinnamon muffin recipe and the crumble topping makes this recipe extra delicious. Perfect for any time of year. Bring these muffins to your next get-together and they are sure to be a hit!
- Apple Slices
1 large apple cut into cubes
¼ cup lemon juice
1 Tblsp honey
- Crumble Topping
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup flour
2 Tblsp oats
2 Tblsp salted butter (melted)
Pinch of salt
- Muffin Batter
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
1 cup milk
¼ cup liquid oil (options: coconut oil, canola oil, or vegetable oil)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Toss together all the ingredients for the Apple Slices and set aside
- Combine the dry ingredients for the Crumble Topping into a bowl and mix together
- Add in the melted butter to the Crumble Topping dry ingredients mix, mix thoroughly, and set aside
- Sift together wheat and white flour, baking powder, and salt
- Mix in the brown and white sugars
- Add milk, oil, and eggs and mix together
- Toss in apple slices
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray
- Fill muffin tray ¾ full with muffin batter mixture
- Top with a spoonful of crumble
- Bake for 25 minutes
- This recipe was originally posted on WellRound.Guru by Mary Wallin. You can view the original recipe at www.wellrounded.guru/recipes/apple-cinnamon-muffins/